Saturday 30 June 2012

I Cannot Play the Violin! (i.e..coloured pencils )

I cannot play the violin and what is more, I don't want to.

Here is the dilemma. Would I want to if I could or can I not play because I don't want to?
I have to admit that I dislike high notes of any kind and that my worst nightmares have been when sitting to the right of piccolo players or the triangle player. It hurts! There have their place but not anywhere near me.

I first picked up a violin when I was 8yrs. old and quickly discovered that if I held in on my lap, pegs up, body down, I could bow more easily and it did not hurt as much. Later on in life I discovered it was called a cello and it was bigger. Good. Progress.
Playing the cello was fun but sitting in an orchestra with all the other cellists I found claustrophobic. I looked behind me and saw a double bass.
That moment started a a life long love affair with the double bass and the world of low notes.
Low notes are basis of all harmony, bass players are down to earth, real and most of them do not dash up and down the fingerboard showing off their concertos.
My double bass and I have been happily joined at the hip for nearly fifty years looking down from my high stool at the others scampering around trying to achieve some kind of peace of mind with their instruments.

What this is about is my dilemma with coloured pencils. I can only compare the art world with the music world in that it takes many years to find one's way, practise and get on with it.

Coloured pencils are like the violin. Completely alien to my way of thinking. I have tried them and they do not do what I want them to do. Should I change my perception of them? I have tried them, on white paper, on grey paper, over acrylic, over watercolour and still cannot see the point of them ( no pun intended.)

What would I do with them if I had completely mastered them? Would I be able to show life, movement, the excitement of colour? The experiments of going wrong and then correcting it without using a rubber?
One line with a coloured pencil does not express much unless followed quickly by another, and another and another. Even then, they do not express what I want to express.
Do I want to spend time struggling to get a technique which I don't want to use because it is contradictory to what I love?

I could not play the violin because I did not like the high notes. I still don't like high notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment