Thursday 28 June 2012

Honesty in art




Yesterday I had a meeting with an artist called Greer Ralston with a friend of mine who is thinking of starting up a giclee printing business. Two hours later and a couple of phone calls from Greer, I am learning more and more about the art world. What struck me most about Greer is her honesty. My would be printer friend is one of the most honest, thoughtful and decent people I know and it is going to be interesting to see how he copes with a bunch of artists.

The art world seems to be full of egos, artist competing with each other, dodgy deals with printers, framers and agents, galleries  pulling a fast one to avoid bankruptcy. Getting known seem to be the aim of most artists and "Emperor's New Clothes" springs to mind. Huge intellectual snobbery and full of pseudo babble.
Dishonesty is not only in the material world but in the way in we we can tackle drawing. 

She talked a lot about the honesty of artists and pointed me in the direction of Frank To,  Norrie Harman, and Joyce Gunn Cairns. I found it really interesting seeing the difference in approach of these artists. Frank To has become very famous and, to me, shows the more dishonest way of drawing. Very clever, very accomplished but leaves me cold. Joyce Gunn Cairns is worthy of several visits. Her work and her writing has such depth and it epitomises honesty and the search for meaning. 
Norrie Harman has the same quality but with more drama. His drawing of " Hilary goes shopping"  is painfully poignant. 

This all stresses to me the importance of keeping true to yourself, questioning and at the same time practising over and over again the skill of drawing. Without the skill it is too easy to let the ego take over and get known at all cost but without the integrity. 
An honest drawing to me has to have the intention of, firstly, understanding the subject, looking and seeing more and more, and then, trying to draw what is seen. With experience and practise, more and more is seen on every level.

Too much feeling and it is too nebulous and self conscious. Too much technique and it is cold and unfeeling.

Both Norrie Harman and Joyce Gunn Cairns show the frailty of human nature but with power and love for the subjects. 
I am left with feeling that it is okay to be human, it is painful at times but there is great strength in that vulnerability.

4 comments:

  1. I just want to say how refreshing this post is. You've put into words the very thoughts and feelings I've had for while. I began following your blog only recently and find it inspiring. Your own honesty and integrity shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It is good to have feedback. Honesty is really difficult when trying to look at yourself and your work with clarity.
    I enjoyed looking through your sketch books on your blog. Very spontaneous and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only just seen this post but, like Bee, find it hugely refreshing. Quite often (most of the time), I feel out of step with the art world. I'm not even sure what the 'art world' is. All I know is that I don't seem to fit. That may be simply because I'm very new to it, but I get the feeling I'll always feel set apart from much of what I read about and see. I spent much of yesterday afternoon, looking through the shortlisted artists for last year's Jerwood Drawing Prize, and by the end of it, I was questioning whether I lived on the same planet as the judges. For me, a sense of the artist is what I'm after in a piece of work… well, that at the very least. You seem (I say 'seem' because I don't know you) to be very present in all your work. Your hand and heart run through them. So to read what you've written here is a great relief. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much for bothering to look through my blog. The question of honesty is a difficult one and I criticise myself most of the time, thinking, perhaps I don't know enough, have not studied the philosophy of art enough or, have completely missed the point. However, since discovering the Leith School of Art in Edinburgh, I have found like minded people and tutors who are pushing me into thinking more but also discussing the integrity of what I am doing. It is always hard to go against the mood of the moment and stick to one's own principles,especially as they can seem very old fashioned.
      I also looked through the Jerwood prize winners and felt out of step. I believe the personality of the artist comes through whatever and however something is tackled. Therefore the work and question of honesty starts with oneself and is felt in every sphere of that person's life. A painting is only one aspect of that.

      Delete