Thursday 26 July 2012

The face of despair! (self portrait )

Tuesday was a day of despair. My reclining figure did not want to turn into a finished work let alone a work of any kind.
My doubts about being able to draw came to the surface. Despair about why I was even trying took over and I resorted to playing the piano ( scales, then Bach) for hours.



Self portrait sketched in biro in a notebook, ( lined paper) slightly smaller than A4.




Sketch of Barbara reading, in charcoal on lining paper, about A2 size.


The problem with this drawing is that I could not take it further. Every attempt to make a composition out of it failed. Everything was horizontal and so there was no interest. If I made her smaller and put more of the room in, it would become an interior with a small figure on a sofa, in the middle.
If I concentrated on colour, it would not balance and would become mundane.
There was not enough light to create interest.

















1 comment:

  1. I think this is a good drawing of Barbara reading.. proportions are convincing, angles look well observed. I can see it as a painting..Bonnard-esque maybe..it's got an innocence about it..unpretentious.

    ReplyDelete