Saturday 21 July 2012

Anatomy

I decided to start a sketch back purely for anatomical studies because I always want to know how things work. I love taking things apart and trying to put them back together again.

I have books on anatomy and physiology left from my years of studying acupuncture and learning point location. Also, 20 years of finding points on people means getting to feel the different bones muscles and tendons. etc.. Drawing the muscles seemed a good way to start and it is fascinating to see what is under the surface of clothes. Although I have been going to life drawing classes for a while, it is not the same as getting down to learning how to draw and understand the structure of the body.

My intention is to keep drawing the anatomy for a long time because I think it is like learning scales before playing pieces and as I am very interested in drawing people it seems the best route to take.









I found it quite difficult at first  and resorted to copying from a book on anatomy for artists but then decided to go back to my more technical books and draw from them. Showing form with cross hatching made sense when there were so many insertion points and easy to get confused with which muscle was going where.
It may seem a little obsessive but if it gets me using my sketch book more it must be good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment