Sunday 22 July 2012

Negative Space



This belongs in a different month. It was done very early on but I did not publish it.

I used a 4b pencil on A3 paper and it took longer than I expected. It was not difficult to see the negative space but I kept slipping backwards and forwards from positive to negative to keep checking where I  was.
I chose a money plant which was rather complex as there was a lot of leaves, entwined stems and the two pots it was in. ( one in the other.)

I decided to draw the ellipses of the pot without considering the negative space as I found that when I came to draw the pot, I was miles out in my drawing of the plant. To get the ellipses by only drawing the negative space did not work as my drawing was not accurate enough.
Instead, I used the exercise to work on the ellipse. I discovered that if I turned the drawing upside- down it was easier to see where the mistakes were. Also, being right handed, the curves on the left were different to the ones on the right because of the angle of my hand. Therefore, when I turned the drawing, I was then drawing at the same angle but getting it a little more accurate. Still a long way to go but it is improving I think.
My tutor noted that my ellipses in part one tended to go up at the right. Now I know why and how to start to correct it.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely, shape-conscious, drawing of the plant! I like line drawings.

    ReplyDelete