Monday 16 July 2012

Figure drawing




First attempts at drawing figures, clothed, quick and drawn in an A5 sketch book with a pilot, hi-techpoint pen.


The sketch on the right was the first, trouble with the hand and an attempt to focus on line rather than tone, I found I was being very careful and not thrashing about in my usual way.
The second, on the left, I started much faster and I think it has more life in it. Not so preoccupied with line but more with shapes and angles.
I realise I have left out any background.




I then went for a cup of tea at my local deli and drew whoever was around. This time I got some of the background in.


This man, on the right I tried to draw mainly in line without my usual scribble. The background of a bench and tub of flowers has not come out well. Too much detail and it overpowers, too little and it is hard to see what it is.


The main thing was to get over the embarrassment of drawing in public at close proximity of people chatting to each other.


The drawing on the left was one I would have liked to spend longer on as the stripes on her top gave a good indication of form. However, she was moving, she was right in front of me and I was trying to be discreet.











This young girl was oblivious to me but moved all the time. However, I think I have not done too badly  and I have got some of the background in.





A very quick sketch of my friend, Petronella, who was painting at the time. She was moving very fast and almost impossible to get any detail. I used pastel on lining paper and find that when I use the side of the pastel, I work differently. It is more from the inside out. When I use line, I am more aware of the outline and how to contain what I see.








Another quick sketch, of Paul, who, at least, was still. I would like to do more to this. He was moving his hands too much for me to get detail.




Christine, during the google hangout, taken from the quick pencil sketch done at the time. I wanted to see how my drawing changed if I used different media for the same drawing. What I learnt was that it did not change the actual substance of the drawing. It seems to come down constantly to observation and how much is seen. 
The different media just gives it a superficial gloss. ( or not ) 

 These are two quick sketches in an A5 book. The piano tuner, who has a problem with his right arm (too long) and Paul, who is rather faint.

1 comment:

  1. These are very successful Sarah. I get a sense of their characters immediately and you have great economy of line when you concentrate like this. These feel brave and confident.

    ReplyDelete