Wednesday 2 May 2012

Patrick Caulfield research

I put off doing this for a long time because I did not really know what was expected of me. Should I write a biography of Patrick Caulfield? If so, what is to stop me just copying and pasting from Wikepedia? I then started to think why he was recommended for research and thought the best thing was to write about that. It is all about positive and negative space and so for me, what is most important is that he gives the, so called, negative space equal importance in his paintings. He is a figurative painter, that is, he chooses objects which exist, and then portrays them by simplifying and putting them into a different space.




Patrick Caulfield (1936-2005)  
Black and White Cafe (screenprint)
Imperial College Healthcare Charity Art Collection, London
Available from http://private.bridgemaneducation.com
accessed on May 2nd. 2012





Patrick Caulfield (1936-2005)
Lantern (screenprint)
Imperial College Healthcare Charity Art Collection,London
Available from http://private.bridgemaneducation.com
accessed on May 2nd. 2012





Patrick Caulfield (1936-2005)
Bathroom Mirror (1967) (Screenprint)Croydon Art Collection, Museum of Croydon. UK
Available from http://private.bridgemaneducation.com
accessed on May 2nd. 2012




These screenprints show how he used realistic objects, sometimes putting a black line around and the composition, to me, puts the space around the objects as equal  importance to the objects.
The Bathroom Mirror is fascinating to me as it depicts the reflection in the mirror of bathroom tiles, gives a hint of perspective and is left simply leaving the rest to the viewer's imagination.

















No comments:

Post a Comment