Thursday 17 May 2012

Battle with line composition!






I found this easy to begin with and then the problems started! It was fine getting the vegetables together, sorting the composition and then grabbing four felt tip pens of different sizes and an A3 sketch book.
Once I started drawing, however, getting a suggestion of tone and difference of texture became more difficult. Making an onion look like an onion instead of a ball with a tufty head seemed impossible.
I started to put in a suggestion of a shadow. It grew until I had to put in more shadows elsewhere to balance the composition.
To get the purity of the pack choy I needed a solid background. The form of the cauliflower needed contrast with the lemon. The darkness needed to be balanced and that meant a background on the left side as well as the right.
By this time I was fed up with the restriction and started using the pens like brushes!  Sketchbook on easel, pen held at arms' length, I filled in as much as possible with hatching. Why not go further? Then came the ink wash.
As a line drawing it failed.

1
First line drawing with too much shadow on the right.

2
The second drawing with too much hatching, no  background. 

3
Third drawing had more background but no longer a line drawing.





4
By now it was pen and ink wash.








No comments:

Post a Comment