Wednesday 11 April 2012

Man-made objects

 Still Life with man made objects. Thumbnail sketches




First a few thumbnail sketches to work out composition and how to place the objects.
I chose portrait format because I wanted the shadows to play an important role. I tried looking at the objects from above but chose to sit lower to see the distortion through the glass which did not look so interesting from above. Also the pattern on the cup is more interesting than looking into it.



This one seemed like a good idea but it needs the shadow to give it more depth. 
On second thoughts, it does not work so well with four objects. It looks too regimented and the gap down the middle is not right as it splits the page.



This is looking better. Adding the glass makes all the difference. 

( The drawing with coloured pencils will have to wait until they arrive from the suppliers together with the inks, watercolours pencils and dipping pen.)


I was not sure whether to add colour or not but as the instructions were to assimilate what had been done, ( which included the shopping items) and the examples shown were in colour, I decided to use pastels. It is not a medium I am familiar with and it is all a bit of an experiment. I found it difficult to get any detail as there was no sharp point in the pastel but I like the different texture of the background to the objects. However, it did not seem to have much depth.














I also decided to use A2 instead of A1 because I did not want to make the drawing that much bigger than the objects. I find that when enlarging a picture, it loses something if it gets much bigger than what I am seeing.


I gave it more intensity by using the pastel more thickly and trying to make more difference between the  materials. 
I have discovered that I am rather obsessed with shiny objects and the transparency of glass. The cup and saucer is the only object that has a solid surface. The jug is nothing but reflections, the cafetiere is transparent and metal, the glass is nothing but distortions of what is behind it. The shadows are the only indication that anything is solid, therefore they have to be a big part of the composition.

I am not happy with the colour and might do some more work on it. I chose mainly blue and brown but it looks too cold. The rough coloured sketch look more lively. 





The finished drawing. I added a slight touch of pink to the background making it less harsh.








No comments:

Post a Comment