Saturday 15 February 2014

Latest figure painting

This was done last Friday, oil on prepared paper.
I covered the shiny side of card with green acrylic paint then wiped a glaze of burnt sienna lightly over it.
The pose was long, three hours and the challenge was not to get picky and start fiddling. My intention was for the figure to emerge from the background of chaos. There was cardboard, grey sheeting and boards.
Michael was sitting on some very white cushions and I took the decision to make them less white after reading Ruskin's article on reflection. He explained that, when looking at the reflection in a puddle, we cannot see under the water. But, if we look at the surface under the water, we cannot see the reflection. The eye cannot take in both at once.

When I looked at Michael I saw the overall colours and shapes but the white was not dominant unless I looked at it. To make it as white as it was in reality did not help the painting.
What was striking was his right hand and right boot. these I tried to bring out more and let other things recede into the shadows.
His face was extraordinarily sharp but if I had made a feature of it, the rest of the painting would have become less.




No comments:

Post a Comment